Are You a Child of Abraham & Sarah?
Abraham “believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” Therefore know that ONLY THOSE WHO ARE OF FAITH are sons of Abraham. And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” So then THOSE WHO ARE OF FAITH are blessed with believing Abraham. (Gal. 3:6-9)
1. Only those who have faith are counted as Abraham’s children
2. Only those who have faith receive the Abrahamic blessing
For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. (Gal. 3:26-29) Paul is speaking to Gentiles who have “put on Christ.” They are:
1. Abraham’s seed
2. Heirs of the promise
For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children— but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. (Gal. 4:22-26)
1. Paul says that Sarah gave birth by promise, and Hagar gave birth by the flesh.
2. Paul says these women are SYMBOLIC of the old covenant and the New covenant.
3. Hagar represents the Old Covenant (which was given to the Israelites), and the Jerusalem that is now on the earth.
4. Sarah represents the New Covenant, the “Jerusalem above…which is the mother of us all (who have faith).” Christians are Abraham and Sarah’s children.
Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise. But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now. Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.” So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free. (Gal. 4:28-31)
1. Paul wrote these words to Gentiles, calling them children of promise just like Isaac.
2. Those “born of the flesh” persecute those “born of the Spirit.” The state of Israel and Talmudic Judaism continues to persecute true Christianity to this day.
3. “The son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.” Jews who remain unconverted to Christ are NOT HEIRS. Spiritually, they are NOT children of Abraham or Sarah.